Is your seltzer habit harming your teeth?
Sparkling water has all the bubbly and none of the sugar of soda. But is there a downside?
“Sparkling water is made by pumping carbon dioxide into water,” explains John Ruby, a retired professor of pediatric dentistry at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. “The CO2turns into carbonic acid, and the pH drops.”
A lower pH means that the liquid has become more acidic. (Pure water has a neutral pH of 7 on the 0-to-14 pH scale.)
Acids can erode tooth enamel. And “once you lose enamel, you never get it back,” says Ruby. That can lead to sensitivity, discoloration, and loss of tooth structure. Read the rest of this entry »